Interesting week on the top podcasts. For one, there is the ongoing topic of social injustice and the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Of course, there is still the topic of when and where COVID-19 will re-intensify, and if so, how will sports be affected? In 2020, the country is in uncharted waters, and it feels as if everyone has something to say.
Sports enthusiasts have been given a beacon of hope. Throughout the past few weeks, professional sports leagues, such as the NBA and NHL, have released creative plans allowing their respective seasons to resume at the end of July. The NFL is planning to begin the 2020-21 season on time, although Dr. Tony Fauci is not too sure. As far as baseball is concerned, MLB owners and MLBPA are still negotiating and posturing. In the meantime, sports aficionados must find other ways in which they can fill the void. Looking to decompress and stay up to date on your favorite teams and athletes? Tune in and take a listen to these engaging sports podcasts:
The Herd with Colin Cowherd – Best of The Herd: 6/18/20
- Colin Cowherd emphasizes how Colin Kaepernick is currently the talk of the NFL. Cowherd opined that players such as Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick, are “celebrity QBs” who would be a backup on NFL teams. Cowherd believes that these “celebrity backup QBs” would take up press conference time and overshadow the young starting QB talent on a handful of NFL teams. Cowherd insists that some media outlets are focusing on signing Kaepernick based solely on the fact that Kaepernick is a strong proponent and representative for the #BlackLivesMatter movement. By not alluding to Kaepernick’s athletic prowess, these outlets may potentially be “hurting Colin Kaepernick” and his chances of getting signed.
The Bill Simmons Podcast – The Ringer – The NBA Takes a Beat, Plus the 2007 Redraftables and Oden-Durant with Ryan Russillo
- Bill Simmons and Ryan Russillo discuss the return of the NBA season. The men also revisit the 2007 NBA draft and discuss how the players from that class have developed. Simmons and Russillo also redrafted the top 14 lottery picks from that season based on the development of the careers of those same players.
The Fantasy Footballers – Early Breakouts and Busts
- Andy Holloway, Jason Moore, and Mike Wright identify NFL players they feel will be a breakout or bust for the 2020-21 fantasy football season. The men believe Raheem Mostert will have an opportunity to shine, they’re unsure of how Baker Mayfield will perform. Their inkling is that without Philip Rivers, Austin Ekeler will lose 20-30 targets.
The Sports Reporters – Episode 289
- Mike Lupica, Mitch Albom, and Bob Ryan discuss the NBA’s return and MLB’s hope to make a deal in the near future. The men acknowledge that the sports schedule has the possibility of being crazy in the fall with the NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs and MLB and NFL seasons all overlapping.
The Pat McAfee Show – PMS 2.0 215
- Pat McAfee and NBA insider, Shams Charania, discuss what the NBA bubble and its amenities in Orlando mean for players. What will the quarantining look like? Will players be tracked?
Pardon My Take – June 16, 2020
- The men chat about the MLB turmoil and how the NBA bubble in Orlando sounds like the “coolest summer camp ever.” Blake Bortles and James Conner joined the podcast to discuss the off-season and how they feel about coming back to play football.